North Cyprus
Places To See

Information

North Cyprus
Places To See

Reservation Form Information

St. Barnabas Museum

He was killed by his fellow citizens for his actions and his body was hidden in a swamp to be later thrown out to sea. St. Barnabas's students found his body and buried it in an underground cave West of Salamis. They placed a copy of St. Matthews bible on his chest.The place he was buried remained a secret for many years. 432 years later, Bishop Anthemios said he saw the grave in his dreams and requested it be opened. With the opening of the grave,St. Matthews bible was found therefore, the body was identified as St. Barnabas.The Bishop went to İstanbul, informed Emperor Zeno of his discovery and the Church of Cyprus received its autonomy. The Emperor made a donation for a monastery to be built where St Barnabas’s body was found. The monastery was built in 477 BC. The monastery was assembled of a church, a courtyard and rooms on three sides of the yard where the monks lived. St. Barnabas musuem has a rich collection of 18th century icons. The basalt mill in the monastery’s yard is from the area of Engomi whereas the other stones and columns came from Salamis. The rooms where the monks used to live have been restored and turned into an archeology museum. It is the area’s most resourceful museum and it is possible to see artefacts dating from the Neolithic period up to the Roman period.
  • St. Barnabas Museum

    He was killed by his fellow citizens for his actions and his body was hidden in a swamp to be later thrown out to sea. St. Barnabas's students found his body and buried it in an underground cave West of Salamis. They placed a copy of St. Matthews bible on his chest.The place he was buried remained a secret for many years. 432 years later, Bishop Anthemios said he saw the grave in his dreams and requested it be opened. With the opening of the grave,St. Matthews bible was found therefore, the body was identified as St. Barnabas.The Bishop went to İstanbul, informed Emperor Zeno of his discovery and the Church of Cyprus received its autonomy. The Emperor made a donation for a monastery to be built where St Barnabas’s body was found. The monastery was built in 477 BC. The monastery was assembled of a church, a courtyard and rooms on three sides of the yard where the monks lived. St. Barnabas musuem has a rich collection of 18th century icons. The basalt mill in the monastery’s yard is from the area of Engomi whereas the other stones and columns came from Salamis. The rooms where the monks used to live have been restored and turned into an archeology museum. It is the area’s most resourceful museum and it is possible to see artefacts dating from the Neolithic period up to the Roman period.

Peace and Freedom Museum

The house where 50th Infantry Regiment Commander Colonel H. Ibrahim Karaoglanoglu and Captain Major Fehmi Ercan were killed is displayed together with a collection of military vehicles and guns displayed at the open air section of the museum. Karaoglanoglu martyrdom is near the museum.
  • Peace and Freedom Museum

    The house where 50th Infantry Regiment Commander Colonel H. Ibrahim Karaoglanoglu and Captain Major Fehmi Ercan were killed is displayed together with a collection of military vehicles and guns displayed at the open air section of the museum. Karaoglanoglu martyrdom is near the museum.

St. Hilarion Castle

St Hilarion Castle was built on the Northern skirts of the Besparmak mountain range. This is where you can see a magnificent bird’s eye view of the whole of Kyrenia. The castle is 10 km from Kyrenia. Access to the castle by car is easy, yet to reach the top you have to climb 480 steps at 700 m above sea level but the view is well worth the climb.
  • St. Hilarion Castle

    St Hilarion Castle was built on the Northern skirts of the Besparmak mountain range. This is where you can see a magnificent bird’s eye view of the whole of Kyrenia. The castle is 10 km from Kyrenia. Access to the castle by car is easy, yet to reach the top you have to climb 480 steps at 700 m above sea level but the view is well worth the climb.

Kyrenia Gate and The Venetian City Walls of Nicosia

A famous Venetian engineer, Guilio Savorgnano, drew the plans of the city walls in the shape of a circle with a 3 mile diametre. There are 11 great towers and 3 gates. The thick walls are made of earth with stones on the outside. The names of the gates are Kyrenia Gate (in the North), Famagusta Gate (in the East) and Paphos Gate (in the West). The Venetians demolished all the houses,palaces, monasteries and churches outside of the 3 mile radius and used the stones to make the city walls. The names of the Frankish nobles and people who contributed in the construction, were given to the great towers. (Rochas,Loredano,Barbaro...etc). The Venetians were defeated by the Ottomans before they completed the Nicosia City Wall. Kyrenia Gate built in the North of the city,was one of the most important entry and exit points. This gate was also known as “Del Proveditore” named after the famous architect Proveditore Francesco Barbaro and was renovated into a domed room by the Turks in 1821. There are versus from the Quran written on the panel on the door. In 1820 a Tughra (calligrahic monogram) of Sultan Mahmut II was embedded on to the side of the door looking North.
  • Kyrenia Gate and The Venetian City Walls of Nicosia

    A famous Venetian engineer, Guilio Savorgnano, drew the plans of the city walls in the shape of a circle with a 3 mile diametre. There are 11 great towers and 3 gates. The thick walls are made of earth with stones on the outside. The names of the gates are Kyrenia Gate (in the North), Famagusta Gate (in the East) and Paphos Gate (in the West). The Venetians demolished all the houses,palaces, monasteries and churches outside of the 3 mile radius and used the stones to make the city walls. The names of the Frankish nobles and people who contributed in the construction, were given to the great towers. (Rochas,Loredano,Barbaro...etc). The Venetians were defeated by the Ottomans before they completed the Nicosia City Wall. Kyrenia Gate built in the North of the city,was one of the most important entry and exit points. This gate was also known as “Del Proveditore” named after the famous architect Proveditore Francesco Barbaro and was renovated into a domed room by the Turks in 1821. There are versus from the Quran written on the panel on the door. In 1820 a Tughra (calligrahic monogram) of Sultan Mahmut II was embedded on to the side of the door looking North.

Namık Kemal Dungeon

The cell’s door opens into the palaces courtyard. The rectangular shaped room is on the top floor. Namik Kemal was exciled to North Cyprus on 9 April 1873 after his play “Vatan yahut Silistre” (fatherland) was performed at “Istanbul Gedik Pasha Theatre” on 5 April 1873. In the beginning, he was locked up in the dungeon on the ground floor but later he was granted permission to live upstairs by Cyprus Governer Veyis Pasha. He was then pardoned by Sultan Murat V on 3 June 1876 and returned to Istanbul. Both restoration of the Namik Kemak Dungeon and the landscaping were carried out in 1993 by the Antiquites and museum department survey and restoration office before it was opened to the public.
  • Namık Kemal Dungeon

    The cell’s door opens into the palaces courtyard. The rectangular shaped room is on the top floor. Namik Kemal was exciled to North Cyprus on 9 April 1873 after his play “Vatan yahut Silistre” (fatherland) was performed at “Istanbul Gedik Pasha Theatre” on 5 April 1873. In the beginning, he was locked up in the dungeon on the ground floor but later he was granted permission to live upstairs by Cyprus Governer Veyis Pasha. He was then pardoned by Sultan Murat V on 3 June 1876 and returned to Istanbul. Both restoration of the Namik Kemak Dungeon and the landscaping were carried out in 1993 by the Antiquites and museum department survey and restoration office before it was opened to the public.

Pigadhes Sanctuary

Excavations unearthed rooms surrounding a courtyard in the centre and a water well. The most precious archeological artefact is a square alter with four steps shaped like a pyramid with an annex on the top in the shape of double horns. The sanctuary’s 12 feet high alter is raised on four steps capped with the horns of consecration.
  • Pigadhes Sanctuary

    Excavations unearthed rooms surrounding a courtyard in the centre and a water well. The most precious archeological artefact is a square alter with four steps shaped like a pyramid with an annex on the top in the shape of double horns. The sanctuary’s 12 feet high alter is raised on four steps capped with the horns of consecration.

Shipwreck Museum

Its position was determined at 1.5 km off the shore of Kyrenia at 3 m deep by a sponge fisherman in 1965. During 1968-1969, an expert team from Pennsylvania University lifted the boat to the surface and moved it to its present place. The ship’s hull is made of Aleppo pine and is 15 m long. Carbon 14 analysis of the almonds found on the ship points to a date of 288 BC and the tees out of the ship planking 389 BC. Hence, the ship was more than 80 years old the day she sank. Four wooden spoons, four oil jugs, four salt dishes and four drinking cups recovered in the shipwreck suggest the number of crew on the ship and that the ship was used for trade.
  • Shipwreck Museum

    Its position was determined at 1.5 km off the shore of Kyrenia at 3 m deep by a sponge fisherman in 1965. During 1968-1969, an expert team from Pennsylvania University lifted the boat to the surface and moved it to its present place. The ship’s hull is made of Aleppo pine and is 15 m long. Carbon 14 analysis of the almonds found on the ship points to a date of 288 BC and the tees out of the ship planking 389 BC. Hence, the ship was more than 80 years old the day she sank. Four wooden spoons, four oil jugs, four salt dishes and four drinking cups recovered in the shipwreck suggest the number of crew on the ship and that the ship was used for trade.

Venetian Column & Ataturk Square

In the past, it had the St. Mark lion on it. The Ottomans took it down and stored it in the grounds of the Sarayonu Mosque. The British erected the 6m high column in its current place in 1915. The column is made of grey granite and is believed that it was brought to Nicosia from a Temple in Salamis. At the bottom of the column, you can see the coat of arms of six Italian families. The Bronze Sphere at the top was added later on.
The buildings on the West side of Ataturk Square were built during the British rule in the early 1900 this is why they look exceptional and different from the other buildings in the square. There is also a platform in the square which was constructed in 1953 for the queens coronation. The platform has England’s coat of arm on it. The British governer had announced the queens coronation from this platform.
  • Venetian Column & Ataturk Square

    In the past, it had the St. Mark lion on it. The Ottomans took it down and stored it in the grounds of the Sarayonu Mosque. The British erected the 6m high column in its current place in 1915. The column is made of grey granite and is believed that it was brought to Nicosia from a Temple in Salamis. At the bottom of the column, you can see the coat of arms of six Italian families. The Bronze Sphere at the top was added later on.
    The buildings on the West side of Ataturk Square were built during the British rule in the early 1900 this is why they look exceptional and different from the other buildings in the square. There is also a platform in the square which was constructed in 1953 for the queens coronation. The platform has England’s coat of arm on it. The British governer had announced the queens coronation from this platform.

Bedesten (St. Nickolas Church)

After the changes, during the Venetian period, the building was given to the Greek Orthodox metropolis. Its different architectural styles gave it a mixture of texture and design. During the Ottoman period, it was mostly used as a bazaar to sell or store textile products and fabric. The stone carved windows on the North door look similiar to the ones at St. Sophia Cathedral.
  • Bedesten (St. Nickolas Church)

    After the changes, during the Venetian period, the building was given to the Greek Orthodox metropolis. Its different architectural styles gave it a mixture of texture and design. During the Ottoman period, it was mostly used as a bazaar to sell or store textile products and fabric. The stone carved windows on the North door look similiar to the ones at St. Sophia Cathedral.

Great Khan

It is accepted that the Great Han was built in 1572 by the first Ottomon Governer Muzaffer Pasha. It is in the shape of a square with a large courtyard in the middle. It consists of two floors. All the rooms on the second floor open out onto the same landing and are arched and domed. It is obvious that the Great Han was built with stones from other buildings and came from different places. It could also be possible that the marble columns holding up the prayer room in the courtyard were taken from another building aswell. Cone shaped roofs on six sided chimneys and the domed small prayer room reflect Turkish architecture at the Great Han.
The rooms on the first floor of the Great Han were used as shops, storage rooms and offices while the rooms on the second floor with the six sided stone chimneys were used as bedrooms. Even though there are Hans in the Anatolian Region with similiar designs, there is one difference. They are generally designed with one main door whereas thE Great Han has a second one.
  • Great Khan

    It is accepted that the Great Han was built in 1572 by the first Ottomon Governer Muzaffer Pasha. It is in the shape of a square with a large courtyard in the middle. It consists of two floors. All the rooms on the second floor open out onto the same landing and are arched and domed. It is obvious that the Great Han was built with stones from other buildings and came from different places. It could also be possible that the marble columns holding up the prayer room in the courtyard were taken from another building aswell. Cone shaped roofs on six sided chimneys and the domed small prayer room reflect Turkish architecture at the Great Han.
    The rooms on the first floor of the Great Han were used as shops, storage rooms and offices while the rooms on the second floor with the six sided stone chimneys were used as bedrooms. Even though there are Hans in the Anatolian Region with similiar designs, there is one difference. They are generally designed with one main door whereas thE Great Han has a second one.

Kyrenia Castle

Kyrenia was first mentioned in historical resources when Richard the Lion Heart defeated the Cyprus King Isak Kommen and conquered Cyprus in 1191. The castle has undergone many cahnges and has been through many stages to reach the form it is today. Even though there isn’t much left from when it was first built, according to research carried out inside and around the castle, it was built by the Byzantines during the 7th century in order to protect the city againts Arab attacks.
  • Kyrenia Castle

    Kyrenia was first mentioned in historical resources when Richard the Lion Heart defeated the Cyprus King Isak Kommen and conquered Cyprus in 1191. The castle has undergone many cahnges and has been through many stages to reach the form it is today. Even though there isn’t much left from when it was first built, according to research carried out inside and around the castle, it was built by the Byzantines during the 7th century in order to protect the city againts Arab attacks.

The Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque

The Lusignan Kings would be first crowned as King of Cyprus at St. Sophia Cathedral in Nicosia then they would be crowned King of Jerusalem at St. Nicholas Cathedral in Famagusta. These coronations continued until the Cathedral was turned into a mosque in 1571. The cathedral’s most beautiful and best preserved feature, the west wing, was designed under influence of Reims Cathedral in France. The unique Gothic design glass window is in the 16 th century Venetian church yard and today is used as a fountain. A Venetian coat of arms can be seen on top of the round window at the entrance of the cathedral.It is thought that the coat of arms, decorated with animal figures, came from a temple in the Salamis. The Cathedral’s apse, as all churches in North Cyprus, is made of three parts-an Eastern design. The Sycamore or tropical fig at the entrance, is considered to be the island’s oldest tree. It is approximately 700-years old. It is thought to have been planted in 1298 when the cathedral was built. Its trunk is divided into seven branches at 2.70 metres. The tree gives fruit seven times a year and creates a mystical shade in front of the cathedral. The sycamore originates from Eastern Africa and gives beautiful fruit. Being able to provide thick shade in hot regions and good wood to make furniture with, the sycamore became a valuable tree for the region during the Egyptian period. Maybe this is why the fruit of the tree is known as the Pharaoh fruit amongst residents in the area.
  • The Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque

    The Lusignan Kings would be first crowned as King of Cyprus at St. Sophia Cathedral in Nicosia then they would be crowned King of Jerusalem at St. Nicholas Cathedral in Famagusta. These coronations continued until the Cathedral was turned into a mosque in 1571. The cathedral’s most beautiful and best preserved feature, the west wing, was designed under influence of Reims Cathedral in France. The unique Gothic design glass window is in the 16 th century Venetian church yard and today is used as a fountain. A Venetian coat of arms can be seen on top of the round window at the entrance of the cathedral.It is thought that the coat of arms, decorated with animal figures, came from a temple in the Salamis. The Cathedral’s apse, as all churches in North Cyprus, is made of three parts-an Eastern design. The Sycamore or tropical fig at the entrance, is considered to be the island’s oldest tree. It is approximately 700-years old. It is thought to have been planted in 1298 when the cathedral was built. Its trunk is divided into seven branches at 2.70 metres. The tree gives fruit seven times a year and creates a mystical shade in front of the cathedral. The sycamore originates from Eastern Africa and gives beautiful fruit. Being able to provide thick shade in hot regions and good wood to make furniture with, the sycamore became a valuable tree for the region during the Egyptian period. Maybe this is why the fruit of the tree is known as the Pharaoh fruit amongst residents in the area.

Othello (Tower)

Under the St. Mark lion embedded on the castle entrance, you can see the name of Captain Nicolo Fascari, who restored the castle in 1492. The castle is surrounded by a deep moat and there are towers and canons at the end of the hallways. In the courtyard there are cannonballs and metal and stone round shots left by the Turks and Spaniards. The land gate has been protected by a ravelin. Here, besides the passage ways and artillery rooms, there are underground rooms which were used as chapels and dungeons. The castle’s present name was first used during British Rule.
One act of Shakespeares famous tragedy takes place at the harbour city in North Cyprus. The play’s hero Othello, is introduced as a moroccan. It is thought that the writer heard the name of the Venetian governor, Christophoro MORO, whose surname means morrocco and mistook him for a morroccan.
Nowadays, the great hall inside the castle is used for cultural and art activities. Many activities which took place during the traditional Famagusta Culture , Art and Tourism festival which was organised by the Famagusta municipality, were held at this hall.
  • Othello (Tower)

    Under the St. Mark lion embedded on the castle entrance, you can see the name of Captain Nicolo Fascari, who restored the castle in 1492. The castle is surrounded by a deep moat and there are towers and canons at the end of the hallways. In the courtyard there are cannonballs and metal and stone round shots left by the Turks and Spaniards. The land gate has been protected by a ravelin. Here, besides the passage ways and artillery rooms, there are underground rooms which were used as chapels and dungeons. The castle’s present name was first used during British Rule.
    One act of Shakespeares famous tragedy takes place at the harbour city in North Cyprus. The play’s hero Othello, is introduced as a moroccan. It is thought that the writer heard the name of the Venetian governor, Christophoro MORO, whose surname means morrocco and mistook him for a morroccan.
    Nowadays, the great hall inside the castle is used for cultural and art activities. Many activities which took place during the traditional Famagusta Culture , Art and Tourism festival which was organised by the Famagusta municipality, were held at this hall.

Selimiye Mosque (Saint Sophia Cathedral)

It is said to have been built on top of a Byzantine Church “Hagia Sophia”. Construction began under the order of Latin Archbishop Eustorage de Montaigu and was blessed and opened for prayers in 1326. Lusignan kings were coronated here as it was Cyprus’s most important church at the time. The structure was looted by the Genoese in 1373 and Mamelukes in 1426. In the same year it was also damaged during earthquakes.Due to landslides in 1491, the Eastern Wing collapsed and as it was being repaired by the Venetians, an old Lusignan king’s (Hugh II) burial tomb was found. The body was intact and was found with a gold crown on his head, gold accessories and important documents. Built by a french arcitect and french builders, the cathedral is a beautiful example of Middle Age French architecture. There are monumental doors at the entrance of the cathedral. The stone carved windows on the door are a unique example of gothic art. The Ottomons placed the mosque’s minarets on top of the unfinished bell towers on either side of the entrance. The inside of the cathedral was formed of three ailes and six side panels. Inside these there are small temples. The one in the North has been dedicated to St. Nicholas and the ones in the South have been dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. Thomas Aquinas. The mosque’s present womens’ section was once used as the treasury. Many Lusignan Kings and Noblemen are buried inside St Sophia. Their marble tombstones still form a section of flooring to this day. These stones are protected under mesh wire and rugs in the mosque and as shoes are not worn in the mosque, the writing and pictures on them are still intact.
  • Selimiye Mosque (Saint Sophia Cathedral)

    It is said to have been built on top of a Byzantine Church “Hagia Sophia”. Construction began under the order of Latin Archbishop Eustorage de Montaigu and was blessed and opened for prayers in 1326. Lusignan kings were coronated here as it was Cyprus’s most important church at the time. The structure was looted by the Genoese in 1373 and Mamelukes in 1426. In the same year it was also damaged during earthquakes.Due to landslides in 1491, the Eastern Wing collapsed and as it was being repaired by the Venetians, an old Lusignan king’s (Hugh II) burial tomb was found. The body was intact and was found with a gold crown on his head, gold accessories and important documents. Built by a french arcitect and french builders, the cathedral is a beautiful example of Middle Age French architecture. There are monumental doors at the entrance of the cathedral. The stone carved windows on the door are a unique example of gothic art. The Ottomons placed the mosque’s minarets on top of the unfinished bell towers on either side of the entrance. The inside of the cathedral was formed of three ailes and six side panels. Inside these there are small temples. The one in the North has been dedicated to St. Nicholas and the ones in the South have been dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. Thomas Aquinas. The mosque’s present womens’ section was once used as the treasury. Many Lusignan Kings and Noblemen are buried inside St Sophia. Their marble tombstones still form a section of flooring to this day. These stones are protected under mesh wire and rugs in the mosque and as shoes are not worn in the mosque, the writing and pictures on them are still intact.

The Gambler's Inn

The shape of the patterned gothic arch at the entrance, and the size of the other arches doesnt belong to Ottoman architecture therefore it is believed that the original structure was used as a monastery. The structure is built in a square. The entrance leads to an open air courtyard surrounded by a two storey building. Also, it doesn’t have a mosque. The travelers would stay in the rooms on the first floor and the rooms on the ground floor were used for their animals and their belongings.
  • The Gambler's Inn

    The shape of the patterned gothic arch at the entrance, and the size of the other arches doesnt belong to Ottoman architecture therefore it is believed that the original structure was used as a monastery. The structure is built in a square. The entrance leads to an open air courtyard surrounded by a two storey building. Also, it doesn’t have a mosque. The travelers would stay in the rooms on the first floor and the rooms on the ground floor were used for their animals and their belongings.

Venetian Palace

Cyprus Kings lived in this palace until Peter II became king. The palace was destroyed by an earthquake. All that is left is an L shaped structure belonging to the West wing of the palace and the entrance arches standing on the four columns brought from Salamis. On the top of the middle arch you can see the coat of arms belonging to Captain Giovanni Renier who was an intendant in Cyprus in 1552.
  • Venetian Palace

    Cyprus Kings lived in this palace until Peter II became king. The palace was destroyed by an earthquake. All that is left is an L shaped structure belonging to the West wing of the palace and the entrance arches standing on the four columns brought from Salamis. On the top of the middle arch you can see the coat of arms belonging to Captain Giovanni Renier who was an intendant in Cyprus in 1552.
VISIT US
North Cyprus
HCB CASINO
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
+90 533 854 5505
fallow us
Click To Top
HCB Group
HCB Casino
HCB Poker
HCB Tours
HCB Exchange
HCB Bet
HCB Technology
HCB News
HCB Construction